We know how it gets when we don’t get that awaited cup of joe the moment we wake up in the morning. Our worst fear is that the coffee maker might have broken and all of a sudden, we’re panicking about it. Well, if you believe me, your machine might just need some basic troubleshooting and when it comes to Keurig, your worries are sorted. As you know, I’m a coffee enthusiast myself and have dealt with a variety of coffee makers, so I’ve tried my best to jot down some uber cool tips and handy fixes for your Keurig Coffee Maker below.
Troubleshooting Your Keurig Coffee Maker
1. Is your Keurig leaking water?
This is one of the most encountered problems people face with Keurig and it can really be a pain in the neck with all the mopping all day. I mean we just asked for a decent mug of coffee, not water for the plants.
- The chances are that you didn’t install the upper gasket properly or there’s an issue with it. Leakages are usually due to gaskets.
- This small part is fixed near the puncture needle in the K-Cup holder. You should check it there and if you find it missing, then you can always buy a new one. If you like to study about the functioning and other scientific details, then you can read this research article about gaskets.
- If it’s misplaced from there, then you need to fix it ASAP. Just adjust it into the holder around the puncture needle and voila! The leakage is fixed.
- Many a time, to bridge the gap between the k-cup and the puncture needle, the gasket must be moved down by a quarter inch.
2. Coffee doesn’t taste good as usual?
Sometimes, your coffee starts tasting odd and all you can think of is well, this was uninvited. The problem here is that there is calcium build-up in your Keurig which leads to change in the taste of your coffee.
- You should definitely consider descaling your machine if you face this kind of an issue.
- If you have newer models, then I’m pretty sure you must be aware that the descale light comes on whenever it’s required.
- As for the older ones, you have to be regular and vigilant about the descaling or your coffee will remind you sooner than you expected.
- You can use a descaling solution or white vinegar to clean your brewer. I did a descaling post previously, you can refer to it here.
3. Has your Keurig stopped working?
This isn’t a newer problem and definitely not an easier one. We don’t want that kind of negativity right at the start of the day.
- Once again, I suggest you descale your brewer with a descaling solution because if you have been using your Keurig for more than four months, then this is a usual thing.
- There can also be air bubbles in your machine’s water reservoir. You can troubleshoot this too by a super simple technique. Just fill the water reservoir and shake it a little. Fix it back and see if it works.
4. Is your coffee maker brewing lesser coffee than usual?
This might not be a really huge problem because at least you have coffee for today, but you will eventually want to fix this. I guess you guys are acquainted with the exit needle in the k-cup holder. The reason your coffee comes out lesser is that the needle is clogged.
- So, you need to wash the k-cup holder properly. Clean it for any clogged coffee residue under a running faucet.
- Even the waterline is clogged sometimes and might need cleaning. To do that, you must run a brew cycle without k-cup pods. The debris and dirt deposit will be cleaned easily and unclog the waterline.
- Newer models in Keurig have better K-cup holders, thus the brewing is uninterrupted. I also did a review on the best Keurig Coffee Maker a while back. See here.
5. Does your Keurig brewer shut off automatically and not turn on?
This could be a very annoying problem and if you too are tired of it, then let’s solve it already.
- You should see that auto-off timer is not enabled because that would explain a lot.
- There’s this green light that illuminates if the auto-off is on. Turn it OFF.
- To turn it on, just try plugging it into another slot. If it still doesn’t work, then try changing the cable.
My tricks were pretty simple and I hope you found them useful too. The major key is to not freak out when something unusual occurs. After all, it’s just a machine that needs some care and maintenance. So, make sure you take good care of your precious Keurig from now on and if you face any other issues or glitches of any sort, comment them below. I am always ready to help.