Tamale casserole originated in the Southwestern United States and has seen immense popularity since. It is a versatile dish that can be paired with beef, chicken or any other meat for that sort. Extremely delicious and full of flavors, it never fails to make our taste buds dance! This dish is not very hard to cook and does not take a lot of your precious time. Let us go ahead and learn how to cook this amazing recipe in no time.
It is rich in nutrients as it has a good amount of carbohydrates, proteins, sodium etc which makes it a good fully fledged meal that will not only fill your stomach but satisfy your taste buds and any sudden craving!
For all your love for Mexican food, this is one of the easiest and the most loved among everybody. Good news is that you need no extra effort to make this at your home in less than an hour!
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
Total time: 55 minutes
Level: Easy (beginner)
What all you will need:
- 1 pound of ground beef/chicken/any meat (we will consider beef in this recipe)
- 2 cans of crushed tomatoes (nearly 15 ounces)
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 can of cream style corn (15 ounces)
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper (ground)
- 1 box of cornbread mix (approx. 6 ounces)
- 1 small chopped onion
- 1 beaten egg (or two egg whites)
- 2 cans of pinto beans, first rinsed and then drained. (15 ounces)
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese or any cheese of your preference.
Let us get started:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit or 200 degrees Celsius.
- Put an iron skillet over medium to high heat.
- Put the beef in the skillet and cook it while stirring. Do this till the beef is brown and crumbly, for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Drain once the beef is cooked and discard the grease.
- Season the meat with salt and pepper.
- Now put the onion into the ground beef. Cook and stir for 1 minute and remove the skillet away from the heat immediately after a minute.
- Now mix the pinto beans and tomatoes in the beef-onion mixture. Stir well.
- Take a large bowl and beat the cream style corn, cornbread mix and eggs (egg whites) together well. Do this until the mixture is smooth.
- Now generously sprinkle cheddar cheese (0r any cheese of your choice) over the corn mixture.
- Now put this mixture inside the oven and bake it in the preheated appliance until the cheese is melted and cornbread is completely set in the middle. This can take anywhere from 20 minutes to 35 minutes.
- Once the corn mixture is properly baked, take it out and sprinkle some more cheese on top immediately and let it melt.
- Let it set before serving.
- Serve it with a glass of wine or a portion of bread and enjoy your freshly home baked tamale casserole!