Oof, it’s been a minute since I’ve blogged. Several busy nights meant late dinners that I just didn’t have the energy to blog about. But with the holiday weekend here, I am setting aside time for meal planning and blogging.
Would you believe it if I said I’d never stuffed a bell pepper? With anything? It’s true. I came across a recipe for quinoa stuffed bell peppers from NatureBox that sounded intriguing and filling, so I decided to give it a shot. (I also have my 2nd NatureBox coming soon and hopefully this time I will take pictures before I eat all of it so I can share it with you!)
These bell peppers can fit quite a few spoonfuls of filling, but don’t be afraid to pile it on high. After they’ve baked for a few, you’ll top them with cheese that will seal everything in. Green chilies, spicy Red Gold tomatoes, and chili powder give these peppers a nice kick.
Enjoy this vegetarian dish as a way to lighten up your meals without feeling hungry after all of the food is gone. Want to make it vegan? Simply omit the cheese.
Southwestern Quinoa Stuffed Bell Peppers
Adapted from NatureBox
Serves 2 for main entree
- 4 bell peppers
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked
- 1 cup corn (I used frozen)
- 3/4 cup Red Gold Queso Ready Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies
- 1/2 cup black beans
- 1 4-oz can green chilies
- 1/2 cup shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried cilantro (If you have fresh, use a small handful)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Cook the quinoa to the directions on the package. Cut off the tops of the bell peppers and pull out any seeds. You may need to cut away at the pepper to create a cavity for the filling.
- In a large bowl, add the corn, diced tomatoes, black beans, green chilies, cheese and all of the spices.
- Add the cooked quinoa and stir together until the filling is mixed evenly.
- Stuff the peppers with the filling and place in a greased baking dish (I used a 9×9).
- Bake for 25 minutes or until peppers are fully cooked and filling is hot.
- Sprinkle cheese on top and then bake an additional 2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve and enjoy!