Rahul and I visited our friends Kyle and Lindsey for an evening of grilling, eating and watching Doctor Who. We’re only in the second season (SO NO SPOILERS, PLEASE) and we’re really into it.
Lindsey was preparing chicken with a delicious marinade so that it could be grilled and shredded for Cobb salads. She put out a beautiful spread of pickled vegetables, corn that had been grilled and husked, tomatoes, olives and all the salad fixings. It was a great night to be outside and eat with friends.
I made this maple whiskey skillet cornbread because I needed to prepare it quickly and I only had to work with what I had in the house (aka no time for grocery shopping). I settled on skillet cornbread and decided to add in pickled jalapenos for a kick and Crown Royal Maple Finished Whiskey for sweetness to balance the heat. Maple is a great flavor for cornbread, and the maple whiskey adds another layer of flavor that you might not suspect from this traditional-looking skillet cornbread. A little sweet, a little heat.
This cornbread is very moist and spicy – I used 2 1/2 tablespoons of pickled jalapenos, but I suggest that you use 1 tablespoon if you don’t want it to be really hot. Or, use more, don’t let me tell you what to do!
Maple Whiskey Skillet Cornbread
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup Crown Royal Maple Finished Whiskey
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tbsp vegetable or canola oil
- 1 tbsp chopped pickled jalapenos
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- In a large bowl, add cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt and whisk to combine.
- Melt the butter in a cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- In a measuring cup, add whole milk. Measure in the Crown Royal Maple Whiskey, honey and oil. Whisk to combine, then add the pickled jalapenos.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir.
- Pour the batter into the melted butter and set the skillet in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until the cornbread surface is browned and it is cooked through.