Spring salads on your mind? I’ve got you covered with this Mango Chicken Salad and Creamy Avocado Dressing!
I struggle with making sure that I eat the appropriate amount of fruits and vegetables in my daily diet. What can I say, I’d rather have a bowl of Spicy Macaroni and Cheese or a half rack of Oven Baked BBQ Ribs. When I’m hungry, those are the foods I crave, but I’m mature enough to know that my diet can’t be made up entirely of those foods or my body will turn against me.
Salads are a great way to jazz up a bowl of greens without negating their healthy attributes (as long as you go easy on the dressing).
This recipe was inspired by mangoes, a bright yellow fruit that screams “eat me, I’m pretty!” The combination of the sweet mangoes, the black beans, and chicken is enhanced by the creamy avocado dressing, another colorful addition to this fresh spinach salad.
My creamy avocado dressing is based on my Buttermilk Ranch Dressing and Buttermilk Dill Dressing, except I swapped out mayonnaise for avocado. It is so simple, you will never buy salad dressing from the store again. While homemade dressing doesn’t last as long, that’s because it isn’t pumped with preservatives. All of the ingredients are readily available in my pantry so I’ll be making my own dressing from now on. Since this recipe makes 2 cups, you can cut it in half if you only want to make enough for a few days as you will have leftovers.
Mango Chicken Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing
Dressing makes about 2 cups
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 avocado
- 2 tbsp whole milk
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
For the salads:
- 1 mango, peeled and diced
- 1 cup rinsed and drained black beans
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 2 cups sliced cooked chicken breast
- In a food processor or blender, add all of the ingredients and blend on low until creamy.
- Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator until serving.
- Assemble the salads by laying a bed of spinach on each plate.
- Add 1/2 cup diced mango and black beans, then top with 4-5 slices of cooked chicken breast and drizzle with the creamy avocado dressing.