Coffee is our everyday beverage. In fact, our mornings are incomplete without the perfect cup of coffee. We make use of the drip coffee maker right in the morning to brew coffee so that we can tackle the challenges we are about to face during the day. This causes the machine to do work for us. While we are too busy in making and drinking coffee, we forget sometimes that our coffee makers require maintenance in order to continue to serve us. We tend to ignore the fact that the coffee maker needs cleaning more often than we think. This ignorance may lead to clogging of the tubes inside the machine. This may be termed as a common issue but it has far worse consequences than we can imagine.
How to Clean Your Drip Coffee Maker
The presence of impurities inside the machine can also lead to a significant change in the flavour of the coffee obtained. This further disrupts our morning routine because we are heavily dependent on coffee and a slight change in its flavour would change the way our day ends.
It must also be highlighted that the source of impurities is not just continuous usage of the machine but also the fact that it is prone to development of bacteria because of the moist environment that the process creates.
As stated, the presence of impurities can significantly hamper the coffee experience we are used to. In order to avoid that, regular cleaning of the drip coffee maker is necessary. It may be believed that running hot water through the machine might be enough, it is not true at all. Hot water is not sufficient when it comes to dealing with impurities in a drip coffee maker. The answer to the problem is the phenomenon that involves the use of vinegar for cleaning. The process is elaborated as under:
- Create a mixture of water and white vinegar in equal parts. Attach paper filter to the machine after filling out the chamber with this mixture. Turn the machine on and wait until half of the mixture is used up.
- Switch the machine off and allow it to rest for about 30 minutes before putting an end to brewing.
- Now replace the paper filter and use clear water to rinse the coffee maker. This is done by brewing using this clear water. This has to be carried out twice.
- Now add a mixture of warm water and some grains of rice to the carafe. Here, the rice would act as an abrasive. Let this mixture swirl inside the pot. You may make use of a scrubber to remove the impurities from the reservoir. Wash up and dry.
- Use a cloth to clean the body of the coffee maker.
- Please note that the last two steps should be carried out daily to ensure a flavourful and healthy cup of coffee.
This is how you clean your drip coffee maker. The process may seem tedious but it is vital in ensuring proper care of the machine. Remember to keep it clean all the way through.
Now that you know how to clean your coffee maker, you should incorporate the habit now. Happy brewing!