Who does not love a juicy Dr. Pepper Pulled Pork with a soda? Known for its great flavors and aromatic smell, it is the perfect snacking item and easy to cook at home, only a little time-consuming!
Whether a sleepover night or a get-together party, this is the perfect idea to serve your guests and make their tummies happier than ever. It is the easiest and the yummiest way to serve a crowd of many people, being filling too!
There are many ways to have this delicious pulled pork with which makes it a very versatile dish. Whether between buns like a burger, a wrap or just as it is, you name it and Dr. pepper pulled pork has it!
Dr. Pepper Pulled Pork Recipe
Preparation Time: 5-10 minutes
Cooking time: 4-5 hours when cooked on high and 7-8 hours when cooked on low
Total Time: Less than 4.5 hours
Ingredients required –
• 1 pork butt or a pork shoulder roast weighing about 4-5 pounds
• An adequate amount of salt
• 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
• 1 teaspoon of pepper
• 1 teaspoon of onion powder (optional)
• ½ tsp of ground pepper
• 1 tsp of chili powder
• 1 onion sliced vertically
• 1 can of Dr. Pepper
• A cup of barbecue sauce
• 2-3 minced garlic cloves (optional)
• Utensils for serving
Instructions for cooking –
- Place the sliced onions at the bottom of the slow cooker. Place them evenly.
- Rub the outer area of the roast with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Sprinkle some chili powder too.
- Gently rub onion powder on the roast for more aroma if required.
- Pour the full can of Dr. pepper on the meat and cook for about 4-5 hours on high heat or if you have no time constraint, cook for about 7-8 hours on low heat.
- Add the minced garlic cloves in your vessel between the pork and let its juices and aroma get mixed with the meat.
- Once the meat is tender and juicy, shred the pork as much as you can by the use of forks.
- Place the shredded pork back in the juices.
- Add 3/4th cup of the barbecue sauce to taste and allow cooking for a good 30-60 minutes if desired.
- Watch the meat closely so it does not burn.
- Switch the appliance as soon as you see the meat turning into a darker color.
- Serve it on crusty rolls with coleslaw or put them between burger buns or wrap the pulled pork in a tortilla!
Enjoy the delicious home cooked, hassle-free DR. PEPPER PULLED PORK!
- If you see excess juice produced by your pork, remove some of the juice before putting the shredded pork back into the pan.
- You can make the pork more spicy or less spicy according to your preference. Add a can of peppers (chipotle peppers) and you should be ready to take it all the heat with the hot sauce pork! Skip this step if you do not want your meat to be very spicy.
- You can also add a bit of it (like half or 1/3rd of the chipotle pepper to keep it medially spiced.