Pizza night was a little different this time, as we switched from red sauce to white, pork sausage to chicken and, gasp added something green!
Why the change? I wanted to try my hand at making a white, creamy cheese sauce that could stand up to the toppings I wanted to put it on – broccolini, for color and crunch, and chicken sausage, for protein, color, and great taste.
We make a lot of pizza in this house. Ever since I found an easy homemade pizza crust recipe that required no time to rise, pizza has become almost a weekly staple. As long as you have a place to roll out the dough (hello tiny blue kitchen), homemade pizza can be whipped up in minutes and is a filling meal. Not to mention very few dishes!
Recently I made a batch of roasted garlic to keep in the refrigerator to use as needed (which is basically all the time), and I thought it would be a nice addition to this pizza. While I only used 4 cloves, I really could have loaded this thing UP. But, too much of a good thing is too much… I guess.
Chicken Sausage, Broccolini, and Roasted Garlic Pizza
- Easy Pizza Crust (or your favorite recipe)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan + extra for topping
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups broccolini florets
- 2 chicken sausage links, cut into 1/4″ pieces
- 4 cloves roasted garlic, sliced thin
- Preheat the oven to 425 and prepare the pizza crust. Roll out onto a lightly greased baking sheet or pizza pan. Bake the pizza crust for 2 minutes and set aside.
- Prepare the white sauce by melting the butter in a small saucepan over medium high heat. Whisk in the flour and cook, whisking constantly, for one minute.
- Gently pour in the whole milk and whisk constantly until it begins to thicken about 2 minutes. Add the 1/2 cup parmesan cheese and black pepper and whisk to combine. Remove from heat.
- Pour the sauce onto the pizza crust (I used almost all of it) and spread evenly. Top with chicken sausage and broccolini florets.
- Bake the pizza for 12-15 minutes or until crust starts to brown on top and on the bottom. When the pizza is almost done, add the roast garlic slices on top and cook for one more minute.
- Remove pizza from the oven and add more shredded parmesan if you like. Serve and enjoy!