There is an episode of The Simpsons (Season 25, Episode 1 – “Homeland”) where Marge sets a plate of Cheetos crusted pork chops on the table for dinner. Rahul and I were watching the episode together and once we saw them, we both knew we had to try this out ourselves.
D’oh! Wouldn’t you?
Pork chops have been hard to come by lately, so we opted for chicken breasts instead. I like pork, but plain chicken breasts always need something to give them flavor, so swapping them seemed like a great idea.
If you like Cheetos, you will love this recipe. Garlic and onion powder enhance the flavor of the already awesome Cheetos, and since Cheetos make up the majority of the seasoning, you will taste Cheetos with every crusted bite. I was pleasantly surprised with this recipe. Not like I should doubt the power of Cheetos, because I don’t, but being inspired by The Simpsons for a Solid Gold Eats recipe is pretty cool.
Enjoy these chicken breasts with Asian-inspired roasted green beans or this grilled mixed bean salad. We’re out of charcoal but the weather is perfect to grill in. It’s my favorite time of year. I hope you outside enjoy it, Hoosiers.
Oh, and guess what? This recipe was posted to BUZZFEED on October 29 in a roundup of Cheetos recipes. Thanks, Buzzfeed!
Cheetos Crusted Chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 cups Cheetos Puffs
- 2 tbsp Panko or regular bread crumbs
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Place the Cheetos in a large resealable bag and crush them with your hands.
- Alternatively, you can do this with a food processor.
- Add the breadcrumbs and seasonings to the Cheetos.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk the egg. Dip the chicken into the egg to coat, then into the Cheetos mixture.
- Place chicken breasts on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes or until chicken reaches 165 degrees.