Brussels Sprouts are roasted and tossed with dried cranberries and roasted garlic for a sweet and savory side dish.
Brussels sprouts are beautiful things. Green, leafy and crunchy, they’re mysterious. Yes, brussels sprouts are a child’s worst nightmare. Brussels sprouts, yuck! Why? Probably because they’re green, leafy, crunchy and often bitter if not dressed for the occasion.
Now, I’m not saying that you’re about to read a recipe for brussels sprouts that your kid will enjoy. However, if you’ve got an adult relative or significant other who also has an aversion to brussels sprouts, then you may want to try this recipe.
Dried cranberries (aka Craisins), are sweet without being TOO sweet for a side dish. Not only are they delicious, they provide a lot of color contrast to the dark green brussels sprouts.
Roasted garlic is a way to mute the sharp flavor of garlic so that you can eat it whole. It is also one of the best things in the world. If garlic is on sale at the grocery store, I buy it up and roast it all, then toss it in the refrigerator for use later. Roasted garlic is dangerous in my kitchen because once I have it, I tend to use A LOT of it.
Brussels Sprouts with Dried Cranberries and Roasted Garlic
- 3 cups brussels sprouts
- 1 head of garlic
- 2 tbsp + 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Grab a square of aluminum foil. Place a head of garlic (skin on and all) on the foil. Begin to wrap the foil around the garlic, then pour two tablespoons of olive oil on the garlic.
- Close the foil, and place in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until garlic is soft. Remove from the oven and let cool. Squeeze the garlic cloves out of the skin.
- Slice 2-3 cloves of garlic (or more, if you’re like me and you love garlic) and set aside.
- Peel the outer layers off the brussels sprouts. Cut off the ends and halve them into a large bowl. Toss in the other two tablespoons of olive oil, salt, and paprika.
- Pour the brussels sprouts onto a baking sheet. Place in the oven with the roasted garlic and roast for 5-8 minutes or until brussels sprouts are cooked through and lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and toss with the dried cranberries and roasted garlic.