In my first year of Ph.D., I moved into an apartment and had a kitchen to myself for the first time in my life. Shifting away from family and managing everything on my own, especially the food was not fun at the start, but I slowly found the rhythm and learned to cook.
That’s where my love of cooking began.
Solid Gold Eats exists as a way for me to share my the recipes from our weeknight and weekend dinners to you so you can be inspired to cook at home, too.
Not only do I love to eat, I love to try new things in the kitchen and constantly challenge my perception of what I CAN do.
It’s been a while since then and I’m still cooking all of the time, now with more experiences and ideas than I can contain in my head.
My recipes are focused on what I ate for dinner that night, a few appetizers and party food ideas, some canning and preserving methods and an all-around interest in learning new ways of cooking the same foods and brand new ingredients that I have never heard of before. There is no gimmick to the type of food I share, just what I enjoy eating – sometimes grilled, ethnic, sweet, salty, but mostly savory and ALWAYS delicious.
I have no formal culinary background, but that doesn’t matter so much as my interest and desire to constantly learn more about being a home cook. I am constantly intrigued and fascinated by the SCIENCE behind food, which I explore in these posts:
- Introduction to Sous Vide cooking, which applies techniques such as vacuum sealing and water temperatures to cooking
- Using the KitchenAid Food Grinder to make Italian sausage and steak burgers
- Canning and preserving my garden harvest to enjoy in the middle of Hoosier winters
Here are a few highlights from the past two years of hosting Solid Gold Eats:
- Sausage, Kale and Potato Soup featured on The Huffington Post
- Cheetos Crusted Chicken featured on BuzzFeed
- Selected as a Serious Sandwich Cookalong Blogger for Emeril Lagasse’s cookbook Kicked-Up Sandwiches
- Joined The Indianapolis Star in April 2014 as a weekly recipe contributor
- Food photography featured on Tastespotting and FoodGawker
Enjoy Solid Gold Eats for your recipe needs and ideas and please write me at firstname.lastname@example.org – I’d love to hear from you!