I have a bucket list for my “whole” life, and it includes two things: drive an RV around the country on a food-related road trip and get a food-related tattoo. I know, I’m EXCITING.
But I DO have a pretty lengthy summer cooking bucket list, a list of all the things I want to cook/eat/see/make before the summer is over, in no particular order:
- Eat a lobster. Not sure if I’m ready to make one myself, but finding a lobster roll in Indianapolis isn’t easy.
Can something in my pint and a half jars. They were pretty, I bought them, not sure what to do now…Made dilly beans!
- Master the foil packet for the grill.
- Bake a pie.
See Phish live.Saw Phish live.
- Work really really really hard on this blog.
Use blog as an excuse to make random food like ice cream.Say hello to this.
- Go to at least one Symphony on the Prairie.
- Perfect my cucumber salad recipe. Done: here’s the result!
- Watch a movie at Tibbs Drive-In Theater.
- Make batches of vanilla extract as holiday gifts for friends.
- Homebrew. Part 1 completed.
- Hit up each of Indianpolis’ farmers markets at least once.
- Picnic at the IMA during one of their Summer Nights, particularly Alien
- Harvest the (hopeful) veggies from my first ever garden: tomatoes, cucumbers, tomatillos, green/orange/yellow/fajita/banana peppers and jalapenos. Oh, and can them.
- Grill citrus.
Food in Jars,Joy the Baker and hope to god that Jenny Lawson writes another book, soon.
- Find a projector and screen movies in my backyard on my garage wall.
- Visit a state park like Brown County, Eagle Creek, Monroe, or Turkey Run for hiking, biking and picnics.
Also, I went on a hot air balloon ride!!! This is a must for anyone interested in seeing the world from above. Very surreal and serene at the same time.
I will update this as the summer goes on and cross off the items as I complete them. It’s also essential that I have tunes to accompany me on these adventurous activities. Here are a few compilations that I associate closely with the bucket list:
DJ Jazzy Jeff and Mic Boogie’s Summertime 1, 2, and 3 mixtapes (3 was just released June 11)
My 60s/70s summer lovin’ playlist on Spotify, filled with motown, funk, singer/songwriter, and jazz
Live Phish at Verizon Wireless Music Center on 8/3/10, since I’ll be seeing them on 6/28/12!
Late Night Tales continuous mix series with Air, Groove Armada, Zero 7 and Jamiroquai