Jazz in the summer is happy, funky and wild, not like the slower, chilled notes of cold-weather jazz.
I have an awesome “Chill” playlist on Spotify, but the heat has made me feel slightly antsy and unable to focus when I’m in my office chair. Instead of calming myself down, I speed the beats up with things that make me move in my seat.
I installed Last.fm to Spotify and so far I really like how it recommends jazz based on what my music history within the app. If it’s something I like, I add it to a playlist. I value playlists because it keeps me from searching by name or song title.
- Herbie Hancock, Watermelon Man from the album Head Hunters, 1973 Columbia Records
- Horace Silver Quartet, The Kicker from the ablum Song for My Father, 1964 Blue Note Records
- Gary Bartz, Music Is My Sanctuary from the album Music Is My Sanctuary, 1977 Capitol Records
- Grover Washington Jr., Mister Magic from the album Mister Magic, 1974 Kudu Records
- Freddie Hubbard, Red Clay from the album Red Clay, 1970 CTI Records
June 27, 1981, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania