In my last year of college I moved into an apartment and had a kitchen to myself for the first time in my life. Joining me in this new adventure was my boyfriend, John, and our boxer, Dollar. As a poor college student with a part-time job, I had to learn to cook.
That’s where my love of cooking began.
Solid Gold Eats exists as a way for me to share my the recipes from our weeknight and weekend dinners to you so you can be inspired to cook at home, too.
Not only do I love to eat, I love to try new things in the kitchen and constantly challenge my perception of what I CAN do.
6 years later, my boyfriend and I moved from Terre Haute, our hometown, to a bungalow in Indianapolis, IN with two dogs (Dollar, a boxer, and Brandy, a boxer pit mix), a fenced-in backyard, and a shotgun kitchen that is blue as all get out. And I’m still cooking all of the time, now with more experiences and ideas than I can contain in my head.
My recipes are focused on what we ate for dinner that night, a few appetizers and party food ideas, some canning and preserving methods and an all around interest in learning new ways of cooking the same foods and brand new ingredients that I have never heard of before. There is no gimmick to the type of food I share, just what I enjoy eating – sometimes grilled, ethnic, sweet, salty, but mostly savory and ALWAYS delicious.
I have no formal culinary background, but that doesn’t matter so much as my interest and desire to constantly learn more about being a home cook. I am constantly intrigued and fascinated of the SCIENCE behind food, which I explore in these posts:
- Introduction to Sous Vide cooking, which applies techniques such as vacuum sealing and water temperatures to cooking
- Using the KitchenAid Food Grinder to make Italian sausage and steak burgers
- Canning and preserving my garden harvest to enjoy in the middle of Hoosier winters
Here are a few highlights from the past two years of hosting Solid Gold Eats:
- Sausage, Kale and Potato Soup featured on The Huffington Post
- Cheetos Crusted Chicken featured on BuzzFeed
- Selected as a Serious Sandwich Cookalong Blogger for Emeril Lagassee’s cookbook Kicked-Up Sandwiches
- Joined The Indianapolis Star in April 2014 as a weekly recipe contributor
- Food photography featured on Tastespotting and FoodGawker
I also write a tourism column for Visit Indy a few times a month to share my love and passion for Indianapolis with others.
This is me, doing what I do – photographing food (this time in my friend Twinkle’s kitchen)
Here you can see Brandy and Dollar, living life in the sun on our back deck.
And John, who makes seldom appearances in photos but is always, always there beside me.
Enjoy Solid Gold Eats for your recipe needs and ideas and please write me at email@example.com – I’d love to hear from you!